Monday 1 June 2009

Saturday 30th May





Today I did my first ever Oly at TriAthy. Amazing experience and so well organised in a fantastic little village in Co Kildare. We (1000 competitors) were led in a procession with bag pipers and people carrying flags from the competing countries down to the swim start. Great swim in the river Barrow. 1100m down stream and 400m up stream. This went really well for me (only got clobbered on the head once by tractor woman) until the turning point when I went back up the wrong side of the pontoon into the oncoming swimmers from the next wave. My heart rate went through the roof as I cut across the swimmers on to the right side of the pontoon!

Bit wobbly getting out of the water with a swim time of 27 minutes but a smooth transition and onto the bike for my best ever cycle - 40k in 1hr 23mins. Another good transition and then onto the run. I drank a litre of water on the run itself. Very hot with temp of about 25c at the end. I was so pleased to finish in 2hrs 48mins - way faster than I ever thought I could go Think I am better over an Oly distance than sprint as I seem to have better endurance than speed.

The sprint tri was held in the afternoon, starting at 4pm with about 1500 competitors so it was great to sit in the sun on the banks of the river watching it with a celebratory bottle of prosecco.


The atmosphere in the village was fantastic as was the support. Immediate results at the finish with a little print out of your times. A brilliant day's craic and roll on Liverpool now.

No comments: